Monday, September 22, 2014

September 22, 2014

The Book of Mormon

Dear Family,
I am just going to tell you the sad news first and get it over with. I am getting transferred...for my last transfer. I knew it was going to happen because Sister Shipley and I go home together, but it is just as hard. My other areas that was at least one thing that I was relieved to not worry about...but not here. I have absolutely loved being with Sister Shipley, the ward, and the other missionaries I get to work with here. As Sister Shipley said, "I feel like this is what my whole mission is suppose to be like!"

I am praying, trying not to mess with "the plan," and singing my go-to song for times like this. The song is sung by Shirley Temple.  It goes:

 "Be optimistic, don't be grumpy.
When the road gets bumpy just smile!
Don't wear a long face, it's never in style,
 be optimistic and SMILE!"

I sing it to the other missionaries all the time.
Alright on to the good, which far outweighs the bad. This week we had Zone conference with Elder Wilson of the 2nd quorum of the 70. It was awesome. He literally spent the whole time talking to us about how to use the Book of Mormon more effectively in our teaching. Besides, it is our "most powerful resource." It was so inspired. He instructed us to read 1Nephi 1 with our investigators and re-teach the restoration as we read. It is amazing -- every point of the first lesson is in 1 Nephi 1. HOW NEAT IS THAT?! He also instructed us to get members to read the Book of Mormon with our Investigators instead of having them read it on their own. This makes so much more sense. I have always felt dumb about asking people to read the Book of Mormon, but not telling them how. This solves that problem. 
 
My love for the Book of Mormon has grown so much the past 17 months. Every morning as I read I feel a literal power (priesthood power) come over me, to protect and guide me for the rest of my day. 1 Nephi 15: 24 (Also a new favorite scripture)

"And I said unto them that it was the word of God; and whoso would hearken unto the word of God, and would hold fast unto it, they would never perish; neither could the temptations and the fiery darts of the adversary overpower them unto blindness, to lead them away to destruction."

Sister Shipley and I haven been reading a chapter in the Book of Mormon together in companion study. It has been awesome and something I want to keep doing with my next companion. Today we read Alma 26 together. Seeing that we came out together, I changed the places and people to apply with us. My new favorite scripture is Alma 26:17
"Who could have supposed that our God would have been so merciful as to have snatched us from our awful, sinful, and polluted state?" Not saying that I was a terrible sinner before my mission, but God has blessed me so much to tell me to go on a mission many months ago. He "snatched" me out of where I was, so that He could build me to reach close to what He sees in me.  I am forever grateful for the knowledge, testimony, and strength that He has given me. It has changed my life forever.
One last cool thing. Zone conference was in Augusta, ME. (One of my past areas) I was able to see some of the members I served with, some brought me to tears to see. I also got to talk to the Sisters that are serving there now about the people that I found when I was there. One of them is Elliot. I found out that he has a baptismal date and is getting baptized November 1 and has come to church 5 times. I also found out that a less active member that I found and started teaching has come back to church 4 times. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT PEACE THIS BROUGHT ME! It was a joyful day. I don't know if you could tell from my letters, but Augusta was my "refiners fire" and when I left Augusta I was not sure if I had made any difference. Now I know that every seed planted does matter.
I love you all and miss you dearly. I pray for you everyday. If you are going to pray for me, pray that I will accomplish everything that God wants me to do for my last transfer. Have a great week!
Sista Lassen 10.0

1 comment: