A Second Week in Maine
Dear Family,
Happy Birthday Kandra!
Anyways, I have been so excited to write you this week. Yesterday at church was stake conference. It was amazing to me that it was exactly what this ward needed to hear, and what Sister Vanderhoef and I were planning to teach to the less active members this week. The best part about church was I got to meet Buffels.(her nickname) She is what the New Englanders call a "snow bird." They are people who live in Florida for the Winter and then live in Maine in the Summer. Oh and by the way Buffels is 104!! That is right One Hundred and Four years old! Get this, she was baptized at age 98, and went through the temple at age 99! It was an honor to meet her. She is so happy and cheerful. She wasn't using a walker, just holding onto the arm of her daughter, and she is always wearing a giant snow jacket--understandable! When I talked to her she started talking about how I got the last name Lassen and how it originated in Denmark. They invited us for dinner sometime, so hopefully I will get to talk to her more in the future.
Another person I love is Sister Brown. She is a black woman visiting from Alabama. We met her when we were giving the Elders back their vacuum and on the other side of a street a woman yells to us "Chuch of Jesus Christ Latter day Saints!" We walked over there and talked to her and then all of the sudden she puts her arms around Sister Vanderhoef and Elder Mitchelle and starts praying. It was a good prayer too.
One more person I love that I am going to tell you about. We went to visit an investigator that the Elders were having a hard time visiting. So we go and she lets us right in. She has the attitude of "NO one is goin' to mess with me." When we were talking to her, her friend called and she let it go to the answering machine. I couldn't understand what the friend was saying but our investiagtor answers the phone and says, "I got the Mormons over!" and hangs up. Then the friend calls back and it goes to the answering maching again and the friend says, "I am so sorry I am going to go wash my mouth out with soup" That was the best Saturday night of my life.
Last Thursday we had Zone conference. It was President Wilkey's last one :( I only got the have him for a little but I am sure going to miss him. I also found out that the in field training which is usually done in 12 weeks, I am now going to be doing it in 6 weeks. This means that we have to spend more time studying and less time with the people...and a high chance that I might be a trainer with the 19 sisters coming out next transfer. I don't think that will happen but it if does, it's all in the Lords hands.
One of the Miracles I had this week: We had a referral but we didn't know what exact house that he lived in just the direction. We prayed that we would be lead to his house. As we were walking over there a woman stopped us who is a less active member. We talked to her for awhile and then asked her if she knew where this referral lived, and she told us the exact house. It was amazing! The referral wasn't home, but now we know where he lives.
I love you all so much!
Sista Lassen

No comments:
Post a Comment